The Armada Empire
The Armada Empire is a federation of relatively small human kingdoms and city-states throughout Asmythe. All civilized human settlements on Asmythe are part of the Armada and each is generally fairly independent. Groups of humans outside the Armada are pirate gangs, rogue nations, bandit tribes and such. The Armada exists to protect against the Orcs, organize trade, and resolve disputes between human nations.
Rules of the Armada
These are the rules of the Armada that all nations are expected to enforce. Other than these "laws of commerce and communication" member nations are free to make and enforce their own laws.
- Member nations must recognize the laws and currency of The Armada. They must not create their own currency.
- Member nations must follow strict war protocols. Attacking another member nation without a formal war declaration to the council may results in a formal war declaration by all other member nations.
- Member nations must host an Armada ambassador, who is the voice and hand of The Armada.
- Member nations may bring grievances to the Armada court, Comhairle, are entitled to a seat on the Comhairle, and must abide by the decisions of the Comhairle.
- Member nations must recognize the common language, Codrix, and conduct all state and business transactions using this language.
- The summoning and binding of elementals is abhorrent, for elementals are fickle and dangerous. (Especially since Faelltor.)
The Armada appeared shortly after the cataclysm that ended the second era, when humans appeared on Altazar. The humans founded the Armada Empire in their first city and spread out from there over the centuries.
The Armada Empire has always been decentralized, trusting that each individual nation knew best what they needed to be successful. The business of the empire was governed by the Lord Admiral until the coming of Faelltor, after which a council of representatives of the leaders of all recognized nations took over.
Taxes are levied against the national leaders and each nation is required to have and yield to an ambassador stationed in each city.
Armada expansion and wealth grow greatly as humans mastered magic.
At the height of the Armada the archmagi Faelltor, who had been raising an undead army in secret, attacked and killed the Lord Admiral and nearly destroyed the Armada itself before he was defeated by the Hand of Sol. The fracturing of political power and distrust of magic this created was the turning point of the Armada. The Armada began to fracture, armies became less able to react to orc incursions and nations became more independent and less reliant on Armada power for commerce and protection.
The Armada Empire, by it's nature, is composed of many factions, organizations, and member nations. These organizations are part of the empire itself and although they act as independent organizations they are not nations, they serve the empire.
The Principles of Seth deal with mundane military matters and act as infantry against orc threats. The Eye of Horus are the police and enforcers of the Armada, and also couriers and ambassadors between nations. The Hand of Sol protect the Armada and member nations from supernatural threats and act as diplomats for member nations. Finally, the Tridale Trade Company ensures a common currency and fair trade practices between nations by serving as the central bank for the Armada.
The Principles of Seth are the champions of the Armada, serving as leaders of the empire army and mentors to national armies. They train and lead national militia to protect against the orcs. They do not participate in inter-nation conflicts.
Every member of the Principles takes this oath and is expected to live by it unto death.
- The health of the Armada is my only concern for a healthy Armada has healthy people.
- I will live each day with courage and courage will sustain me.
- I will always complete the tasks that I begin for I will only begin tasks worth completing.
- I will make no promises I can not keep and keep all promises I make.
Early in the third age, as soon as magical ability appeared in humans, the Armada empire founded a college to educate, observe, and indoctrinate wizards. This eventually became the training school for The Hand of Horus, the wizard ambassadors and couriers of the Armada Empire.
The Eye of Horus trains and employs wizards to serve as ambassadors between the Armada empire and member nations. They also train bladesingers as secret police and elite strike forces against the enemies of the Armada.
The Eye of Horus has several primary goals:
- Seeks out and destroy the enemies of the Armada.
- Advise member nations and enforce Armada laws.
- Provide instant communication with any other nation though their ambassador.
- Identify any person with magical power and ensure they join the Hand of Horus or the Hand of Sol.
The Eye of Horus manages every wizard college in the empire.
The Hand of Sol are an order of diplomats within the Armada and a school for all who use dragon magic. Nations of the empire employ divas from the Hand of Sol to protect and promote their own interests and bring them along on all diplomatic missions. Everybody knows that the Hand of Sol uses this position to spy on member nations, but their value as divas greatly outweighs any risk that imposes.
Collectively the Hand of Sol has no particular alliance to any specific cosmos, but factions within the organization usually do. Bards, crusaders, and monks tend to travel in groups and some are very obvious in their golden robes and outspoken temperament. They make no secret of their existence or their mission.
The Hand of Sol has these primary goals:
- Seek out and destroy all demons and elementals.
- Abdicate disputes within and between nations, for the benefit of the member nation.
- Collect information about nations and their motivations, for the benefit of the Armada.
- Identify any person with magical power and ensure they join the Hand of Horus or the Eye of Sol.
More than most empire organizations, the Hand of Sol is composed of many factions. Factions form around individual Elder Dragons, and like the whims of the dragons they are often in conflict with each other.
Several factions of The Hand of Sol practice meditation and monk-like dedication and training to serve their cosmos.
The Tridale Trade Company is the merchant and banking arm of the empire. This is where taxes are paid to the empire and where citizens can obtain bank notes and make other financial transactions. Their residence is usually within or very near the empire embassy in each city and are always very well protected.
The Tridale Trade Company does not usually engage in direct trade themselves, for it is much more profitable and less contentious for them to trade in currency and let the nations themselves trade in goods and services. But it isn't unknown for them to broker transactions, especially for very high value goods and across very large distances where the markup can be profitable enough.
- Landing Day - A yearly celebration marking the anniversary of humans arriving on Asmythe. The first day of the year.
- Founding Day - A yearly festival marking the anniversary of the founding of The Armada Empire.